"Cincinnati Synagogues: Claiming Space in the Expanding City"
Panel Discussion with Dr. Anne Delano Steinert, Dr. Karla Goldman, and Alayna Gould
Cincinnati’s Jewish community has occupied three significant geographic spaces over its two-hundred-year history in the Queen City. The first center of Cincinnati’s Jewish life was the West End, where Jews staked their claim on the city with the creation of the Chestnut Street Cemetery in 1821. This initial investment was followed by an array of synagogue buildings in basin neighborhoods, especially the West End.
Just before the turn of the twentieth century, Jewish Cincinnatians began to move north to the quickly expanding streetcar suburb of Avondale. After World War II, much of the community relocated from Avondale up Reading Road, bringing their synagogues to the suburbs of Roselawn, Golf Manor, and Amberley Village. This panel will investigate each of these phases in Cincinnati’s Jewish history by exploring the synagogues built in each location. Historians Anne Delano Steinert, Karla Goldman, and Alayna Gould will offer short talks on the synagogue architecture of each period and how it served the changing needs and circumstances of Jewish Cincinnati.
Sponsor: Proudly sponsored by the Center for the City at the University of Cincinnati and Jewish Cincinnati Bicentennial